Re: [ARSCLIST] Heavily distorted signal

On 16/04/03, Peoples, Curtis wrote:
> I have a copy of some Turkish folk poets speaking with and without
> music. The original analog tape is very distorted. Are there any
> tricks or techniques to make the voice sound clearer. Is there a
> certain frequency range I can work with for distortion? Are there any
> software programs or outboard gear to remedy this problem? Any advice
> is appreciated.

I have found that a compressor can sometimes be used to make badly
recorded speech audible. With the right settings, it can greatly
increase the attack on consonants - the same reason a compressor is used
to give "punch" to a percussion track.

You will need a real-time one so you can play with the settings.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx