Re: [ARSCLIST] CD Burners

At 03:38 PM 3/19/2003 -0500, Steven Smolian wrote:
Has anyone checked for differences in audio quality between the original and
the copy?  I've notices recognizible changes caused by CD writing software
that is often blamed on the writer.

I'm now well convinced that Roxio 5, full version, whatever they call it,
"softens" some attacks and spreds some notes in lower frequencies.  I get
tighter sound that more accurately reflects what I hear when playing back a
Sound Forge sound file from Magix Audio Cleaing Lab 3.0.

What we hear is subjective and often does not show up in anything that can
be measured.  Nevertheless, I've done serious a/b testing here enough to
convice me to change.

I've not seen this issue addressed elsewhere.

You may have convinced yourself of the difference, but it cannot occur. If you begin with a "redbook" WAV, the software merely rearranges the bits to make the data stream that is recorded. The software does not alter frequency response, dynamics, separation or anything else in the audio stream. There are issues when a non-redbook file (e.g., monaural or 22.05 ksps) is written directly, but if you begin with a 44.1 ksps, two-channel, 16-bit, uncompressed PCM WAV, you will be able to retrieve it perfectly if the recorder writes perfectly to your chosen medium at your chosen speed.

I have proved that a WAV file recorded with ECDC 5 (and other programs) to
an audio disc can be extracted (using Exact Audio Copy to correct for
offset) to a WAV file which matches the original in every bit.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/