Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright and hard drives

Dear Joel,
    Thanks for your posting. I've retired now, so I cannot speak for my
successor, but I see little need for an "open source" software decoder for
CDs. Any CD player with an SP-DIF output is capable of replaying everything
(including the track flags) complete with error-correction, so the audio and
the flags may be moved to any other audio hardware capable of the necessary
sampling-frequency and bit-resolution. (The AES digital connection-standard
will copy the audio, if necessary for very long physical distances; but it
does not include track flags. Our experiences with Betamax videotapes with
digital audio also showed it was relatively simple to retro-fit the machines
with SP-DIF outputs).
    When I was employed by the British Library, I also bought an Odixion
"digicopier" for CDs. This also had the option of an equivalent for the DOS
"Verify" command - namely, after a CD is copied, it compares the copy with
the original, and warns you if an uncorrectable error has occured.
    My personal view about Linux is that, while it is indeed an "open
standard", the manual for even Version 2 was far too indigestible for most
people; and I believe the current version is about Version 5. For nerds
only, I fear!  Far better not to have an "operating system" at all, if you
can manage without one.
    In respect of the last point you make:  Here in Britain, we have "case
law" to illuminate the law of copyright, and it was decided about 25 years
ago that any chip which forms a digital read-only memory counts as
"hardware" (not "software"), so is subject to patent law rather than the law
of copyright.
Peter Copeland