Re: [ARSCLIST] Peeling Lacquers

Dear Mr. Snyder,

Nightmare jigsaw puzzle department: I have heard of people gathering all
the flakes and peels together and trying to assemble them in the proper
places to glue back onto the base; but one such experience might be enough
to provide an introduction to life in a rubber-padded room or to consider
such lacquers irreparable. Depending on the extent of peeling, one might be
able to color the missiing areas black and then try playing the disc with
an ELP turntable (you'd have to color, because the ELP only recognizes
black surfaces). I've had some success with high-quality arms (such as SME)
and Shure cartridges playing what remains stuck to the base of such discs
with light tracking weight and some manual assistance guiding the tracking,
but that approach only works if most of the lacquer is still in position.
If you try that method, keep the stylus pressure light or the stylus will
peel any loose lacquer.

Richard Warren