Re: [ARSCLIST] NYT: Online Library Wants It All, Every Book

| >  Why is this thread on the ARSC list?  It belongs elsewhere!
| >
| >  Steve Smolian
| >
| Quite right!  Libraries are obsolete.  Now we can replicate digital archives
| and distribute it worldwide in cyberspace.
|
| ARSCLIST is about preserving sound, not artifacts.
|
| Mike Csontos

Well, besides private collectors, retailers and audio engineers, ARSC members represents the major recorded sound archives (sometimes called libraries) in the U.S. and Canada (and a few others.)  Anything that might be possible for the future in helping preserve the information about recordings as well as the recordings themselves, I should think should be of interest to members of ARSC.
    Interestingly enough, I don't see this discussion on any of the other Library lists to which I'm subscribed.  Just as other digital initiatives, and copyright issues such as Webcasting (a means of retrieving and delivering recorded sound to service library researchers and users,) which may be broadcasting unique recordings of performances of concerts and recitals locally and under different conductors, I would think, should be of interest to ARSC members...at least some of them.