Re: [ARSCLIST] Lytec FRED

David Hoffman
veteran documentary filmmaker.
www.theHoffmancollection.com
Allinaday@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I have been searching for a Lytec Fred to lease or purchase so that I could
> transfer about 120 quarter inch audiotapes that I recorded about 15 years
> ago.  They all squeak.  I am interested in a Lytec Fred because another
> member of the group recommended that it would allow me to transfer these
> tapes without causing residue on the heads and squeak.

If your tapes squeal, it is probably stickyshed.  Rather than fooling with
some device to try and transfer them while in the sticky condition, I would
suggest you bake the tapes to allow normal transfer of them.  This is an easy
and safe process, if handled properly, and you don't risk further damage to
your tapes.

... Graham Newton

World class professional services applied to phonograph and tape
recordings for consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR processes.