[ARSCLIST] Dry tape squeal problem

>     I used silicone fluid from a company called Midland Silicones here in
> Britain, which was available in various viscosities (that is, internal
> frictional stiffness). I usually used 60 centistoke, and when resonances
> weren't sufficiently controlled, 200 centistoke. For reducing dry tape
> squeal, I would say that you would need something less viscous - say
> about 20 centistokes.

Hi; thanks for your advice.  I'll see if they ship to the U.S., or if
an equivalent can be found here.

You mentioned that the stuff has a tendency to soak into the oxide.  I
suspect that's what we *want* to happen.  The tape once had a lubricant
of its own, and the silicone could replace it.

        -ed falk