Re: arsclist HELP with cleaners for vinyl records

gary wrote:

I have a record cleaning machine for my vinyl collection, but I need to get some more cleaner to use with it. When I bought the machine, it came with one small bottle of cleaner. I also bought a bottle of concentrate that I added to a gallon of distilled water. After sitting around for years, that mixture got kinda funky so I threw it away. It's time to get something new.
I shopped around for commercial cleaners, but all the ones I found are priced out of this world. I did some research on the subject online. I think this is the solution I want to make:

75 ml distilled water

25 ml Isopropyl alcohol (make sure there are no additives, like Lanolin)

.5 ml wetting agent (Kodak Photo flow, Triton X-114 or X-100)

... but instead of Triton X-114 or X-100 which are suppose to be nasty things that can cause health problems, I hope to use Triton(tm) XL-80N surfactant from Dow Chemical which is suppose to be safe.

I went to Dow's web page and requested a sample a couple weeks ago. The only thing I received from them was a specification in the form of a .pdf document.

Any thoughts/comments on the subject? Does anyone know I can buy a small quantity of Triton(tm) XL-80N surfactant.

thanks

Gary

Gary,

Please don't use isopropyl alcohol in any cleaner for cleaning. The solution I use is "The Disc Doctor's Miracle Record Cleaner" which is used by a number of archival organizations and is recommended by audio various publications, too. The one thing he mentions in his literature is the following, "_The requirements for a cleaner that will safely clean any type of disc are strict._ It must: (and this is the fourth paragraph) Not contain isopropyl alchohol, which can dissolve shellac surfaces [not your case], and cause leaching of plasticizers from synthetic plastic pressings making them brittle and subject to excess wear."

Aside from other considerations, that makes isopropyl alchohol not a good cleaning agent for recordings. Also, the Disc Doctor is a chemist and has been selling his product for a number of years, and we at Family Theater have cleaned over 300 acetate discs with it with excellent results. It is relatively inexpensive and comes with a set of brushes for preparation and removal of the contaminants. I've also used it on my vinyl collection, too, with the same good results. I know that it is also used in disc vacuum cleaning machines by other archivists.

I'd be interested in any other comments by users of this product, although there are a number of other products that people swear by.

Rod Stephens
Archivist, Family Theater Productions