From: "Dr. Cheryl Thurber" <cthurb@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2002 2:52 PM
Subject: arsclist Packing records
> Cheryl Thurber
> cthurb@xxxxxxxxx
> wrote:
> The question about an oversized record brings up a
> basic point about packing records.
> Use cardboard cut to size (square), or a fraction
> over. And use plenty of pieces on each side of the
> records.
> The important point is to alternate the direction of
> the cardboard. - | - | - | -
> That drastically increases the strength and reduces
> the likelihood of bends. Tape with a moderate degree
> of tightness, do not make it loose or overly tight.
The thing to remember about shellac records is that they are NOT
flexible! If subject to a bending stress, they will break. Other than
that, if firmly fastened together in a group (all one size, please...I
lost several 10" discs when they were stacked with some Little
Wonders, in list-tem order, putting 6" on top of 10"!) they are
all but unbreakable as a group. In a worst-case scenario, simply
take a piece of flat, inflexible material larger than the record,
firmly fasten record to piece of stuff, and ship that way. As
noted, "interlaced" corrugated board is pretty well inflexible.
Another tip...it is a good idea to put "packers" (records of the
same size, but no particular value) in each outside position;
if anything impacts the parcel, it will be the outside discs that
suffer any damage.
One further note...I recall receiving the odd parcel where the
box was falling apart or coming open (where parcels cross
borders, including the US-Canadian one, they are often
opened and then resealed by rank amateurs) but the bunch
of records was still together. It might be wise to put the
receiving address on the records, in case it departs the
shipping carton!
> I spent many years auctioning records and sent
> thousands of records all over the world.
> Dr. Cheryl Thurber email: cthurb@xxxxxxxxx
> P.O. Box 9447, Baltimore, MD 21228-0447
Just curious...I used to buy 78's through Goldmine many years
ago from a Cheryl somebody, somewhere in the southern US.
Same party?
Steven C. Barr
-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html