Re: arsclist Cataloging

Dear Peter,

Microsoft Access can do Boolean searches exactly as you list. They
are not command line, but they are quite easy to do, using simple queries.

Access fully supports diacriticals, although not as thoroughly as did the
WordPerfect database called DataPerfect. I would posit that any database
program that cannot support diacriticals is fatally flawed, at least for
collectors of classical or ethnic music.

Access also easily exports/imports to/from ASCII text files; the
diacriticals are not lost in this process.

Windows XP fully supports DOS programs; I'm using one (YARN) to write this
reply to you. Its support for DOS is even better than that of Windows 2000.
I do not claim that all DOS programs will run, but certainly most non-game
programs will.

I am not a shill for Microsoft; indeed I am a vociferous critic of many of
their actions. However, old is not necessarily better, unless one is talking
about recordings!

Kevin Mostyn