Re: arsclist Cataloging Software

Reply interspersed:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas Williams" <doug.williams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2002 11:12 PM
Subject: RE: arsclist Cataloging Software

> My front runner is a program from FNProgramvare called Catraxx
> (http://www.fnprg.com/catraxx/catraxx.html).
> Inexpensive, yet it seems to encompass great detail.
Interesting (used the link). From the description, I'd say it was written in
either Visual Basic (5 or 6) or Visual C++, both of which can use the
Microsoft JET data engine in their created programs. This, of course,
means the data is stored as .mdb (MS Access) data files; it also means
that many (but nowhere near all) data files could be imported into
the database via MS Access use, including dBASE, FoxPro, Paradox and
a couple of mainframe program formats (in some cases one would have to
find the drivers needed).  As near as I can tell, the program may be able to
read the data from the header to the CD itself...however. that gets over my
head!
> In addition, an add-on
> software called V4C may play an important part in "speeding-up" the
> cataloging. My biggest problem has been getting the data from Sound
> Librarian over to CATraxx. THAT's where the expense will probably come
into
> play.
That would depend on what Sound Librarian is a "front end" for (unless it
uses
its own proprietary format incompatible with anything else). If the latter
is the
case, you'd have to (or have an expert) look at the digital details of a
Sound
Librarian file and see if the storage format can be defined.
> Doug Williams
> -Record Collector-
> "You Mean I'm Supposed To Listen To 'Em?!?!?!"
Steven C. Barr
Record...and data...and digital odd&end collector-
(looking for VB for DOS, which I just bought a book on...)

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html
from the author of the post.