Re: arsclist Cataloging Software

At 04:51 PM 12/16/2002 -0500, you wrote:
Also, for folks at really big institutions still using mainframe systems...most database apps on these are unknown in the
personal computer world (and the two don't "speak," either!)

As someone who did mainframe programming for years, I'm surprised you've not seen the mainframe world's most popular database apps on other platforms. They are DB2 and dbase. DB2 is readable via SQL selects, and mainframe systems can quite easily talk with other systems. In fact, I've worked with Oracle systems on a UNIX box that directly imported records from an MVS system running a DB2 database.