Re: arsclist Top vs. Bottom Posting

At 02:52 PM 12/15/2002 -0600, Premise Checker wrote:
On 2002-12-14, Mike Richter opined [snipped now]:

> NOTE: Please use bottom posting unless you have a compelling reason not to.
> It facilitates removing extraneous quotation and certainly encourages
> deleting the reduplicated ads.

Mike, I've never seen a format where bottom posting is best. This is true
of the UNIX programs, Pine for e-mail, trn and tin for newsgroups, and of
Outlook and Outlook Express for both. This issue has received a certain
amount of attention, and I recall that the Germans prefer bottom
posting but that most everyone else prefers top posting. We could take a
poll.

Top posting or replying interspersed is not a problem, IMHO, though it is contrary to recommended practice in the newsgroups and elsewhere. The fault is seen when top posting is used to avoid editing what follows - which often means a massive post saying little more than: "I agree" or "I disagree".

What I most dislike is the use of HTML in e-mails and failure to wrap
lines at, say, 72 characters. Also those who fail to strip off the
graphics and related junk when forwarding a webpage as e-mail.

Frank

Neither HTML nor attachment is safe in e-mail. I would strongly recommend that both be prohibited; in fact, this is the only list to which I subscribe which permits them.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/