Re: arsclist Cataloging

At 05:08 PM 12/13/2002 -0500, stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Since I'm in the midst of similar discussions both on 78-L and off-list with
several people, let me make some general comments (which can then be discussed):

1) Basically, there are two separate (related to some extent, but not
identical) two types of discographic databases, as well as two subtypes of the
second...
a) A discographic information archive. This is a database containing all, or
as much as possible, information about a given set of records ("set" can
include every known record). This could consist of a table (or set of related
tables) which contain fields sufficient to cover every possible aspect of the
phonorecords in question, leaving it up to the user to select the desired fields
he/she/it needed to look at. Note that this does not represent, and therefore needs no one-to-one relation to, an actual set of individual phonorecords that exists anywhere; what is being archived is data, not recordings. Since this data can come from published sources as well as actual phonorecords, data records may be incomplete and the accuracy of the data cannot be guaranteed. This type of archive can be used to answer questions such as "Did <company> ever issue <song>?"
or "What is on <label><number>?"

I've been off-and-on following this discussion.

It seems to me that the ultimate, (and often surprisingly accurate) implementation of this is the CDDB which is linked to many software CD players. http://www.gracenote.com/ This mostly a user-input database.

Of course, while this would seem like a useful source of info for the underlying LPs that have been re-released on CD, the track order and content often changes. In digging through the discography of even one artist, it can get confusing! For example, a few (I forget the details) of the first four Joan Baez releases had at least one different cut on the mono vs. the stereo release of the same title. Both ended up being released on the second CD, although not always on the first CD reissue.

Another very useful (and copyrighted) source of information is the All Music Guide that purports (with many errors, I sadly must admit) to catalog every record/CD that was ever issued. http://www.allmusic.com/

Heck, they even have their records in MARC format--here's one that is on my label http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=SEARCH&sql=V468812
and here is the underlying vinyl for the above CD-re-release http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=SEARCH&sql=V413551

I think there are other private databases (Schwann Catalog?) that also contain a host of this information--if it has been preserved.

While the idea of cataloging from the ground up is intriguing, cataloging from existing assets (OK "repurposing") is generally more cost effective.

I'm sure many of these databases lack complete information, but that could be filled in on an as-needed basis.

One of the reasons I published Judy Collins's complete discography on my Web site (and I do understand the magnitude of the task considering how long it took me to research TWO artists--Collins and Baez) was that there was no other resource that had as much depth as what I had amassed--even the artist's own Web site!

Sorry if I missed the MARK :-) of this discussion.

Also, if (a) is available and known accurate with unique identifiers on each record, then (bx) could merely be a series of pointers into (a) with a shelf ID code.

Cheers,

Richard

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html