Re: arsclist record archive

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, phirsch wrote:

> Most people with a
> serious interest in recordings and discography (i.e., all of you - and
> myself) want ALL the pieces of music and ALL of the performing individuals
> (clearly associated with the proper pieces) , along with full label,
> catalog number at a minimum and would certainly appreciate recording dates,
> venues and information on the accompanying material (liner notes, libretti,
> artwork, etc.). The fact is, this is extremely cumbersome, verging on
> impossible in the mold provided by the AACR chapter 6 guidelines for sound
> recordings. Another fact is that most libraries would like their catalogers
> to produce more than 2 or 3 catalog records a day and so limit the
> "enhancement" of records to a practical level.

To add a bit of my own perspective...

Things are much better than they were. Most search engines, OCLC, RLIN,
and many local systems, like our own, have keyword searches which provide
searching access to contents notes.

As a one who has a serious interest in recordings, and one who is very
aware of the time (and the costs involved) it takes to prepare a fully
authenticated cataloging entry for an audio recording I am amazed that we
have as much information in MARC records as we do.

There are other questions regarding use. Some collections seem to be
better served by finding aids.

There are also questions of the quantity of material and the costs
involved. I certainly do admit that the situation is far from ideal...an
example...our archive of the Houston Symphony (we are currently preparing
an online finding aid) holds some Barbirolli performances. A search on
OCLC does not indicate this. At this point, even the preparation of a
full MARC record is far beyond our fiscal resources.

Yes, I would hope for better.

Karl

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html