Re: arsclist Sound Display Cases/Equipment?

At 11:31 AM 12/11/2002 -0800, Michael Tarabulski wrote:
Suggestions, please, ladies and gentlemen, for types of, and sources for,
display cases (or equipment to go into existing cases) that will let patrons
hear some recordings.  Could be the type of thing with a speaker on it, or
with headphones, so long as it is pretty much a "You push the button, we do
the rest" sort of thing.  In this particular case (both instance and object)
we'll have some signage and photos and a 78 or two and we'd like to give
people the chance to hear some snippets of singing by the subject of the
display.

I think defining the user experience might be a good first step.

An easy way to do this today would be with a computer and a touch screen. The computer's sound card could feed a bank of headphones. The audio would live on the hard drive. This could be as simple as a branching powerpoint-type presentation with buttons to touch.

There are commercial systems designed for broadcast/post production that could be used. 360 systems comes to mind. http://www.360systems.com/ Their "Instant replay" product is interesting. Also hard-disk based.

I think hard disk is the least "solid" memory you'll want to use. If it's not too much sound, flash ram (cards) could also be used.

I would not use CDs, video discs, or tape, or <gasp> LPs or 78s for this audio on demand type of application.

Cheers,

Richard

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html