Re: arsclist Re: Thoughts...(have your cake and eat it)

In fact, this has been discussed a number of times on 78-L, and no agreement
was ever reached! My (and, to a certain extent, the list) opinion is as
follows:

There are three possible ways to define "restoration"...and each is
acceptable
to given listeners...
1) "Restoration" = to restore the original sound of a specific sound
recording
insofar as technically possible. This means that sound deterioration due to
damage to the recording, including wear, whould be audibly removed, as
well as (possibly...there is not agreement here) sound not present on the
original master recording but added due to limitations of the medium in
which the recording was issued to the public (shellac-compund surface
noise and the like). The idea here is to restore the sound of the original
recording in pristine condition, as near as possible...or, what the
recording
would have sounded like under ideal conditions.

2) "Restoration" = to recreate the sound of what could have been recorded
had technology existed. This means that not only should the limitations of
the
medium used for issue should be addressed, but also the limitations of the
recording method used. In other words, bandwidth limitations and the lack
of stereophonic or other multi-source recording should be corrected insofar
as possible, so that the result sounds like a current state-of-the art
recording
of the performance. In other words, what the recording *should* have
sounded like!

The danger is, that as it becomes possible with digital technology, we will
venture into:
3) "Restoration" =  to recreate the sound of what would have been recorded
under not only ideal recording but performing circumstances. This could mean
what the recording would have sounded like in an acoustically better
setting...
or it could involve editing out wrong notes, and even a theoretical (and
digitally created) recording of a performance which never actually occurred!
This is, so far, not technically possible on a useful level...but that
doesn't
mean it never will be! In other words...what the recording *could* have
sounded like had it existed!

Food for thought...

...stevenc