Re: arsclist record archive

In a message dated 12/08/2002 12:50:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
smolians@xxxxxxxxx writes:

>  As a dealer and professional appraiser, let me suggest you do something
> more
>  rewarding with your time.  It is nearly certain that you won't recover
>  minimum wage or anything close to it for the time you'll be investing.
>
>  Steven Smolian

The reason for compiling a personal record catalog is to have access to the
performances on the records.

What would be almost as useful is an electronic archive that would allow one
to access performances by manufacturer and record number.  Now that requires
browsing through expensive discographies.

An example of this is the Internet Movie Database <http://www.imdb.com/> at
which you can enter a movie title and find out almost anything about any
version of that film.

I have several thousand records filed or indexed by manufacturer and number,
but no way except by digging through piles of catalogs to find anything on
them.

Of course there is a LOT more money in movies than in 78rpm records!

Mike Csontos
-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html
from the author of the post.