Re: arsclist ELP Laser Turntable; Full 3-D mapping of groove?

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

> One I
> would like to see tried is treating the signals from several copies of
> the same recording as noisy data streams and using correlation
> functions to recover the original signal.
>
> If all "data" not common to several pressings from the same stamper or
> several stampers from the same master were rejected, one would be left
> with only the signal on the original stamper or master, which could be
> better than that retrievable from the aged original, if it still
> exists.

----- a regular search for "sound restoration" or "audiovisual
restoration" would give a reference to professional literature, such
as the AES "Proceedings of the AES 20th International Conference
2002 October 5-7, Archiving, Restoration, and New Methods of
Recording", ISBN 0-937803-44-8. These papers and the CEDAR
book I mentioned recently are essential reading for the professional.

Christopher Hicks of CEDAR has worked with multiple sources,
with remarkable results. Obviously he used in-house software to re-
synchronise the sources. However, CEDAR is in the business of in-
line processing, and many processes requiring off-line work are not
presently considered by them for commercial use.

Kind regards,

George
-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html