Re: arsclist ADAT recovery

----- Original Message -----
From: "list" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  We use laboratory equipment that is
> extremely adjustable and is stable to within 1/2 of a degree.  As a rule
> of thumb, ADATs should be processed at a lower temperature and longer
>duration than 2" or 1/4' audio tapes.

Peter and others at all,
Thanks for your informative replies.  Peter's words are a confirmation for
info I have gathered from other sources within the manufacturing community.
These have clearly stated that ADAT tapes should be treated in a same manner
as analog audio tapes. The words of wisdom from Richard Hess are in order
and I am convinced a test baking of another cassette should predate the
actual baking to test for miss tracking reported phenomenon.
A lower temperature than that suited for audio tapes would be about 120!F,
48!C, which is not very hot to harm any tape. Most tapes and shells I have
tested in the past are well suited to withhold at much higher temperatures -
as high as 65!C, or 150!F, and over.

I am convinced that we are well equipped for the task. Our thermal oven is
for tape baking only,  we do not use a "home brew" oven or the mini food
dehydrators. It is accurate to within 0.1 degree with 3 (!) protection
stages all of which could calibrated to go off as needed. A digitally
calibrated buzzer, a mechanically calibrated shut off device and an
emergency "dry" gas to cool the oven contents if the oven go over a certain
alarming heat degree. These safety measures are quite re assuring for
clients, as paranoid as they are, who send us their precious master tapes.

Joav Shdema
Producer / Engineer