Re: arsclist media preservation and access project

Dear Burt,

I am currently transfering sound recordings at the Harry Ransom Humanities
Research Center in Austin. Our practice, and this seems to line up very
well with what others are doing, is to:

Create a ProTools session of the sound recording's playback. I
create a 24 bit , 48kHz file for this session. While I am creating the
session, I am also burning an access CD onto our Marantz CD burner, which
automatically adjusts to Red Book Standard. I then bounce this as a WAV
file, at the same resolution, for a preservation copy.

I guess this is the main part of the answer:

I use Mitsui Gold unbranded 74 min. CDs. I burn one access copy for
researchers (Red Book Standard WAV format) and then one preservation copy,
at the higher resolution, as a WAV data file. I have also created a system
of file naming/saving and back up, so that I not only have the 2 CD
copies, but I also have a ProTools session and WAV files. Metadata metadata...

Oh- and these are all straight!

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Molly Wheeler