Re: arsclist Gray Audograph Recordings

Molly,

I haven't done it, so we cannot correspond. I want to make two obvious points:

(1) If you're looking to best capture the nuances of the sound on the recordings with the least wear on the recordings, then I suggest using contemporary reproduction equipment (and I don't even know what that is).

(2) If you're looking to reproduce the feel of the original, then you're on the right track.

If you have original recordings, it might be worthwhile to transfer them off using contemporary equipment and then reproduce a demo recording that would satisfy (2).

For example. The Pavek Museum in Minneapolis has one of the two original Magnetophons that Jack Mullin used to do the first commercial broadcasts of Philco Radio Time with Bing Crosby. The Museum was playing old out-take tapes of Crosby, but wearing them out. They also had some new-old-stock (NOS) tape of the same type Mullin used to record in 1947. Someone else had made an excellent transfer about 20 years ago of the 1 Oct 47 show which was the first taped show in U.S. Radio Network history.

I took a copy of that show and after much complaining by a contemporary tape recorder, was able to make a good recording onto the vintage (and amazingly different) circa 1944 German tape. They now use that for demos. The public is treated not just to a random set of outtakes but rather to the first taped radio show being played off the same type of tape it was recorded on using one of the two machines that originally recorded the show. The museum experience is actually enhanced in my opinion (and the opinion of others) while the important originals are preserved (and copied).

Just my two cents on this.

Cheers,

Richard