From: owner-ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of James Perrett
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 5:39 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: arsclist Rejuvenating curled acetate tape

"Richard L. Hess" wrote:

> Anyone have any thoughts on a 1976 3M dictation cassette that's
> squeaking--not sticky shed? It is causing audible scrape flutter in the
> transfer.

This is purely anecdotal and unscientific but I had an unbranded
cassette from around 1980 with similar symptoms. I tried playing it in
various machines over a few days with no joy. I would guess that there
was a problem with the tape lubricant.

In this case I left it for a few months and when I came back to it the
tape played perfectly without any problem. Maybe there was a difference
in humidity or temperature from its previous storage location but there
were no obvious or major changes.

Unfortunately I would guess that you don't have the time to wait a few
months.

Cheers.

James.
-