RE: arsclist National Recording Registry: Nominations

Everything Les states is correct, and of course recordings
significant for their place in the technical history of audio would be
appropriate candidates. I take Kurt's question to be one of "eminent
domain:" would the gov't seize Kurt's copy if it were the only one in
existance? I am sure there are plenty of recordings in Kurt's collection
LC would like to have but that's not the intention of the criteria nor
the law.

Recordings on the Registry can be published or unpublished, and publicly
or privately held. The "master" need not exist for a recording to be on
the Registry. (That would eliminate quite a few good candidates.) What are
eliminated are "lost" recordings, for which nothings exists, such as
the Bettini Mark Twain, or Buddy Bolden.

This year there are preservation resources available to digitize Registry
recordings. LC would seek the best available copy, wherever we can
locate it (within reason!), preserve it, and return
it to its owner. In some cases, LC might have the best available copy
already. In cases where, say, Kurt has the only copy or best copy, we'd
hope to be able to borrow it, preserve it, and have a copy of it (not the
original) available to researchers.

Hope this helps. We look forward to having your nominations.
<http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/nrpb/>

Sam

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html