Re: CDs, was DATs, Was Re: arsclist Duplicating casette tapes

At 09:58 PM 8/9/2002 -0400, Steven Smolian wrote:

When doing CDs from a number of originals for a client, and provided he
agrees, I make two of each- one on Mitsui, on on TY.  The Mitsuis are kept
for reference purposes for the odd numbered items, the TYs for the even, the
second copies sent to dark storage.  When one shows signs of failing, the
group is to be called back from storage and those on the other brand are to
be copied.

There's a familiar ring here. When I send a master in for pressing, I send two copies, one on Mitsui, the other on T-Y. In the unlikely event that one has a detectable error, the other would be used.

Incidentally, when will prices drop for CD testers?  Could this be done with
an in-machine CD player and appropriate software?

I leave the question to experts, but I note that the best user-level reporting I know is with CDR Inspector. Jerry will surely have better information, but my belief is that no lower level can be reached with a conventional drive. There is an image on the CD-R side of my WWW site of a poor disc as reported by that program.
http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/bad_disc.gif

Whether that program or one of the alternatives is sufficient for your purposes only you can judge. CDR Inspector and its little brother, CDR Diagnostic, are available from
http://www.arrowkey.com/

Needless to say, I have no association with Arrowkey or any other vendor.

Mike

mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/