Re: CDs, was DATs, Was Re: arsclist Duplicating casette tapes

George Brock-Nannestad wrote:

> From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad
>
> Perhaps I should mention that UNESCO is coordinating meetings
> of understanding between media manufacturers (later equipment
> manufacturers) and IASA, the International Association of Sound
> and Audiovisual Archives, as well as FIAT/IFTA the International
> Federation of Television Archives. There is an understanding on the
> side of manufacturers that archives have a need for stability rather
> than speed (CD-R's) and for information regarding typically reel-to-
> reel and video magnetic tape, and archives have an understanding
> that media manufacturers are not deciding the pace of
> development, and the archives will obviously respect proprietary
> trade information in order that competition between firms (of which
> there are fewer and fewer) will not be distorted. UNESCO itself
> (under the auspices of the Memory of the World programme) will
> act as a type of clearinghouse.
>
> But the optimistic conclusion of a recent meeting in Paris on 14
> June 2002 was that it would indeed be possible to have a CD-R
> manufactured which would adhere to "older" standards of reliability
> connected to slower speed.
>
> Like all development, this will probably be slow going, and a lot of
> stop-gap measures will be needed by the various archives. In my
> view, the most important is actually the pick-off of the signal from
> the original media, unless it is already in a "digital" form, in which
> case we "only" have coding problems. And that problem will be
> with us for a long time yet and will not be solved by the media
> solution.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> George Brock-Nannestad
> Patent Tactics

"Older standards of reliability" do not apply to media, unless you want
to go back to 63 minute discs. Recording drive speed is the issue. Some
"older" 1X-4X media was great but some was rotten. The same is true
today. Vibration and other effects are serious when writing at speeds
above 12X.

More about this issue is posted on our web site:
http://www.mscience.com/faq.html

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.

-