Re: DATs, Was Re: arsclist Duplicating casette tapes

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Jeff Carroll wrote:

> I would agree with Jerry.  Any contact media is outdated technology.
> Besides, CD-Rs are just plain more durable.  This is common sense, not
> debatable rocket science.  Try these simple tests:
>
> Record audio onto both a CD-R and a DAT.  Place each in their
> respective case, lay them flat on some pavement and run over them with
> your car.  Make sure the cases are good and crushed (repeat if
> necessary).  Which plays back more accurately?
>
> Or nail two finishing nails into the roof of your house.  Removing the
> media from their cases slip them onto the nails with the underside
> facing up.  Allow them to be exposed to the elements.  When six months
> passes by take them down and let me know which plays back more
> accurately.

----- I said that Drago Kunej's tests were simple and that anybody
could reproduce them, but they were not ridiculous! The above
suggestions. does not correspond well with even the most
outlandish archive practices.

But I will agree: I did state that Bernd Hänsch's paper (2000) was
counter-intuitive, but his measurements did bear out his
conclusions. Read the paper before suggesting flippant tests (can
one even say that?).

Kind regards,

George
-