Re: DATs, Was Re: arsclist Duplicating casette tapes

Language Laboratories and Archives wrote:

> Do you have any specifics or sources for the anecdotal reports? I am
> interested because we are doing our archiving to DAT--given that the
> shelf-life of CDs, and therefore, presumably, DVDs is really an
> unknown.
>
> Barbara

I notice that
http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/automatedbackup/pdfs/autoloaders/faqs/NIL002AQV.html#faq14
talks about a life of 10 years for DDS DAT's. I have also seen this
quoted on manufacturers DAT tape specifications.

HHB are quoting 30 years life for their DAT tapes while they predict 200
years archival life on their CD-R's (which I believe are made by
Mitsui). The web address for their media brochure which contains the
predicted lifetimes is:
http://www.hhb.co.uk/FMPro?-db=hhbbrochures.fp5&-format=1brochpdf.htm&-sortfield=Title&Publication=Manual&Section=UK&-max=2147483647&-recid=7&-find=

I'm new on this list so I would guess that these media issues have been
discussed already, but it would be interesting to know what error rates
CD-R's from 10 years ago are showing compared to similar DAT's.

Cheers

James.
-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html