Re: arsclist Digital knowledge preservation

In a message dated 06/20/2002 7:25:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mikel78_rpm@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>   No. Do I have any problems downloading
>  this page? No.
>
>     If you cannot download this page, your equipment is obsolete.
Period.(Not

>  that there is anything wrong with obsolete equipment, of course.)
>  >
>                                           Mike Loughlin

In a message dated 06/20/2002 9:42:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
smolians@xxxxxxxxx writes:

>  The real danger is using a process which, history tells us, will itself
>  inevitably becomes obsolete.  Since my studio business is working with
>  obsolete audio formats, I'm particularly sensitized to the issue.
>
>  My only concern about this discussion is that present use and future
>  accessibility be dividied in users' minds.
>
>  Steve Smolian

I recently downloaded a MP3 song to a floppy so I could play it for the group
at our museum.  I found that this particular file would only play on the
latest versions of Realpayer or Media player and these versions would only
run on Win 98 or later.  Our museum is still using Win95.

I ended up transferring the file to 1/4" tape, then recording it to .WAV,
then burning a CD just to be able to play the song to the group.

It certainly is in Microsoft and Intel interests to see that the world is
forced to upgrade to the latest operating systems which must run on the
latest microprocessors.  It is hard to see what can be done to stop this
"progress."  However it seems that using MP3 or next year's new format for
preservation is unwise.  It reminds me of the time I spent 30 years ago
transferring my collection to cassette, for preservation.

Mike Csontos
-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html
from the author of the post.