Re: arsclist Digital knowledge preservation

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

fortunately this thread has not stopped, because as long as it is
live, it generates awareness, and we need that.

Our problems are caused by audio recordings being really audio
systems - we cannot reproduce anything without proper equipment.

Some storage means are so simple that watchmakers would at
any time in the future be able to manufacture replay equipment.
The commercially manufactured type of this kind of media also
turns out to be very long-lasting in storage.

Some storage means are so complex that we need very skilled
factories cooperating to provide replay equipment. Analog storage
may be much more difficult to handle than digital - think of Dolby
SR or even Dolby C. However, even primitive, non-signal processing
replay of such material will provide a good impression of what is on
the tape, whereas digital output from digital storage may be
complete gibberish without proper decoding.

The equipment we use for digital replay consist of two parts: the
readout device providing raw data of some kind of digital (0s and
1s) output, and the decoder which is frequently just one component
- hardware - but which may be emulated by software. In particular
because PCs are so fast now, decoding by software may be
relevant. This removes some of the pressure on maintaining well-
functioning replay equipment, we only have to have well-functioning
readout. That is a formidable task in itself. However, as long as
there is some kind of digital representation, it will be possible to
copy it to other storage means, and decoding can take place.
Obviously the coding used and the software used for PC decoding
must be open source.

There is no doubt that spreading the physical locations where
material is stored increases its chance of long time survival.
However, most material will not benefit from this approach.
UNESCO estimates that 200.000.000 hours of audio material may
be in need of preservation (try the conversion to years of material
for a perspective!). In my view, only a minor part of that constitutes
the total commercial output, the remainder is audio history, i.e.
sources to the many activities which it was possible to document
by audio. Apart from the tremendous radio broadcast and TV sound
output, they would be tapes of meetings in local councils, oral
history, local visits by celebrities to schools and many, many
routine recordings that may contain answers future citizens (not
just researchers or collectors) will want to ask to it, which would
never benefit from a transfer programme. I am reminded of Edward
Tatnall Canby's description in the 1970s (Audio Magazine) of the
Columbia Oral History Project, where the tapes were reused after
transcribing. Even the lousiest quality tape copy would have given
more to today's and future users!!

Hence, even storing on data-reduced formats is better than no
storage at all - the criterion must surely be that it must be easy to
transfer before the dedicated replay machine (in particular the
readout part of it) breaks down. The MiniDisc 5-hour format is
formidable in terms of ear-quality and storage compactness, but I
do not think it fulfils the open source requirement yet. Incidentally,
have you considered that heavily data-reduced formats are more
tamper-proof than linear formats: editing and filtering will create
audible artefacts!

So a preservation programme for society would be: establish an
open-source data reduced format, copy as quickly as possible, but
without too many attempts to obtain "the ideal replay" the audio
content to a data file on your computer, and then burn a CD-R with
the data file. This will not be an audio-coded file, but a computer file
that your open-source programme may convert back to ear-
stimulus. The error-correction code for file-saving on the CD-R will
protect the information for some time, so before it is too challenged
by the errors, do re-copy it to some other carrier. Metadata will
enter as indexing and cataloguing data; it should follow the audio
data file, but even here a little is better than nothing. Full indexing
just means using time now rather than at the time of searching for
the information.

Undoubtedly there will be material which we need all our restorative
skills to extract before it is being saved in an information-rich form.
Fortunately we are very good, but the time factor goes from 1:1 to
100:1. And no doubt, future users will curse us for not having used
our skills on the material they only have the remains of (data-
reduced) in front of them. However without the mass conversion
today, there would be NOTHING for them.

Finally, it is so ironic, that now that commercial output is not worn
down by reproducing it, the providers are really frustrated because
they lose sales. They could have stuck with vinyl!!

Kind regards,

George Brock-Nannestad
Preservation Tactics

-