Re: arsclist Gold Audio CDR

Richard L. Hess wrote:

> I buy SILVER Mitsuis in spindles and GOLD Mitsuis in Jewel Cases.
>
> Let me concur that handling the SPINDLES decreases reliability. I have
> never had a problem with the GOLD Mitsuis. I have never had a problem with
> SILVER Mitsuis in JEWEL cases. I have had a few problems with SILVER
> Mitsuis from the spindles. Probably my bad in dealing with them, but I
> don't consider spindle-based CDRs acceptable for archival transfers.
>
> (isn't it nice when competitors agree <smile>)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard
> Vignettes Media
> Glendale, CA
> http://www.vignettesmedia.com
>
> PS -- Why do I buy the silvers at all? Because I can't see spending the
> money on the gold to send a one-song demo to 30 radio stations, for
> example. The silvers will play fine, but might not be quite as pristine due
> to the dust mostly. Oh, and I have lots of single jewel boxes left over as
> I do many 2-CD sets in dual jewel cases.
>
> At 09:00 PM 05/18/2002 -0700, Chris Lacinak wrote:
> >Dave,
> >
> >Are you asking for clarification? I'll assume that you are. If I was unclear
> >then please allow me to restate this in a different way. <snip>

Our experience shows that reliance on brand name alone is not helpful.
Discs are manufactured at different plants, or with different processes.
We notice differences between plain discs and those having printable
label surfaces. Some manufacturers sell both their own media and lower
cost discs from a different source.

Although there are some differences between discs in jewel cases and
those on spindles, there are comparable differences jewel case-to-jewel
case and spindle-to-spindle.

Similarly, differences exist silver-to-gold, but also gold-to-gold and
silver-to-silver. Many CD-R quality issues relate to pregroove and dye
features that are not as visible as silver or gold coloration but can be
much more important.

Another issue is how quality is determined. If BLER alone is used, then
false images of quality can emerge.

See the FAQs and free test offer on our web site:

http://www.mscience.com/

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.

-