Re: arsclist CD Jewel Case Labelling

Brian Levy wrote:

> Hi y'all,
>
> I'm writing with yet another question about CD-R
> archiving:
> We've been using a Dremel (engraver) to etch CD serial
> number, catalog number, speed of burn, date of burn,
> etc. into the jewel cases themselves for archival
> storage.  I know using paper in the jewel case is
> generally a bad idea, due to acid off-gassing (though
> i suppose there is also acid-free CD case insert paper
> you can buy somewhere?)  I've been suspicious of using
> stick-on labels on the outsides of the jewelcases to
> bear the archival info, fearing these might off-gas,
> or that the adhesive might do so.
> The thing about the Dremeling process is that it
> produces a lot of plastic dust while also seemingly
> ionizing the plastic and making removal of said dust
> difficult.  And in light of the recently-discussed
> dust issues...I was wondering, do you have any
> suggestions for better archival strategies to address
> this issue.
> How do you handle labelling in your archive?
>
> Thanks once more,
>
>        Brian Levy
>
> --------------------
> Robert Brian Levy
> Language Activist; Archivist
> Kiwat Hasinay Foundation
> 651 S Peoria Ave  Apt 4
> Tulsa, OK 74120 USA
> 1-405-401-3928
> kiwat@xxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.ahalenia.com/kiwat

Your attention to proper preservation is admirable. Information is
posted on our web site at http://www.mscience.com/faq59.html describing
sources of deionizing fans for static removal from plastics, including
CDs and jewel cases.

Use of jewel cases is proper, but you should not be afraid to use an
adhesive label on the outside of the case. More information is in the
FAQ section of our web site.

CD-R life is very dependent upon the initial recorded quality of the
disc. Media Sciences provides testing services that comprehensively
evaluates disc quality in accordance with ISO and Philips standards. An
offer to conduct limited tests at no charge can be found on our site at
http://www.mscience.com/test.html#FRETST

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.

-