Re: arsclist Re:Question re: Rigler Deutsch Catalog

In a message dated 04/27/2002 4:56:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Stevramm@xxxxxxx writes:

>  >
>   > There is a website, but no purchasing information as of 1/02.
>   >
>   > http://www.avrl.com/
>   >
>   > There is an older site with some information about the project,
>   > but it appears to be old.
>   >
>   > http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/8764/avrl.htm
>   >
>   > ------------
>   > Eric Nagamine
>   > -
>   >

>   The AVRL project was dropped by its programmer, who was working gratis,
>   toward a commission on sales. ARSC members in the Labelography Committee
>   of ARSC have been working to revive the discography by seeking funding
>   from a foundation. We're "cautiously optimistic" (and have been for
>   years!).

After reviewing the web sites my impression is that this was an overambitious
project which would never be available to an amateur like me, and thus would
draw no support from such as me.  It isn't worth several hundred dollars just
to index a few hundred 78s. The format seems so complex that it would be
easier to just reenter label info myself.

I wonder, though, whether there would be a possibility of making the raw data
available on the Internet, perhaps as comma delimited or tab delimited dumps
from whatever database it presently exists in.  This might be useful. It
could be searched by any spreadsheet or word processor program and relevant
data records extracted for whatever purpose.  Cost should be minimal; I
regularly download gigabytes from a myriad of free sites supported by private
grants or advertising.

It seems a shame for all the effort that went into the project to be locked
up waiting for an "appropriate" format, software and secure distribution
method.

Mike Csontos

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html