arsclist Sony Portapack video recordings in PAL

Hi everyone,

Until today, I've been a lurker on the list. I run a very small home business preserving and restoring audio tape, specifically 1/4 " reel to reel tape. I've dabbled in cassette for a couple of special clients, and have even done a couple of microcassettes for my doctor who had a couple returned by his transcription service as unplayable. However, my main focus is in 1/4" reel to reel tape.

Anyhow, someone recently saw a post from me about one of my favorite bands on a mailing list dedicated to that band, saw my signature and contacted me about something I can not help him with.

He wrote, "I have some very old Sony Portapack tapes from my college days which is the only video of my father (now sadly departed) but cannot find anyone who can copy it to a current format.

As you are probably in the States (as you spell analogue as analog!), the additional problem is that they are in PAL format!

I was just wondering (hoping) that you might know of someone who can help me."

So here's my quandry. I'm not sure what a "Sony Portapack" tape is, but I'm guessing it's the old 1/2" reel to reel video format that I worked with ages ago when first learning video editing. I can not work with these format tapes or with anything PAL. The most I have for video equipment is an aging VHS hi-fi stereo recorder connected to my home TV, and a Hi-8 video camera. I'm presuming he doesn't want to spend a lot of money, but can not presume he wants them done for free. I'm sure he'd be willing to discuss a reasonable fee for the service. He's located in the UK.

If anyone can help me out here, I'd greatly appreciate it. If you contact me at diamondproductions@xxxxxxxxxx instead of the address this is coming from (db65@xxxxxxx) with information about what you can do with these tapes and an estimate (based on what little information I have provided) of cost, I'd be more than happy to forward these on to this person with your e-mail address so he can contact you if he is interested.

Thanks in advance for your help!