Re: arsclist Kodak is stopping CD-R manufacture !?

Hi Karl

Karl> On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Jeff Carroll wrote:

>> > Even so, I would have thought it would be safer to use 74 minute
>> > discs, even for your commercial releases, as some domestic players do
>> > have a problem with the longer discs - although, I agree, this problem
>> > is diminishing as people update their equipment.
>> >
>> > Graeme Jaye
>> >

>> I know that some, if not most, CD manufacturing plants do not guarantee the
>> playability of discs that exceed the Red Book standard. --JC

Karl> Quite true. I try not to go over 74 minutes, but our Prokofiev Sonata
Karl> issue has one disc at 74:46 and our Ginastera issue has one at 74:10.

This whole are is a bit of a minefield, but we have to be careful to
distinguish between discs which are 'standard, but have more than the
nominal 74 minutes of material on them and discs, such as the 80
minute ones, which use a tighter tracking spiral.

As others have said, there is some 'slack space' built into the
standard disc to accommodate manufacturing tolerances, etc.  When it
comes to writing a CD-R, some software will allow you to write to this
area (so-called 'overburning').  Other than that, the disc is as near
'standard' as it will ever be.

Then there are discs which are deliberately sold as 80 minute
('overlength') - or whatever time happens to be currently in fashion.
In this case, the tracking spiral has been tightened to create the
extra space - I don't know, but I assume there is still some slack on
these discs for manufacturing tolerance purposes and it might be
possible to overburn them, but I have never tried this myself.

It is these discs which are more likely to cause a problem with
domestic players since they have a problem tracking the things.

I presume you are mastering with CD-R and then sending this off to be
commercially pressed?  If this is the case, then I imagine the
producers of the disc are using standard discs, but deliberately using
some of the 'tolerance' space on those discs.  In view of the minimal
overrun of the two mentioned, I doubt if it likely to cause a problem.

Karl> I just mastered another one for issue at 79:09!

This is another kettle of fish entirely.  Pressed on a standard disc,
this will use up all the 'tolerance' space and I suspect you might
have a few complaints from people who simply can't play them.

Graeme Jaye

Graeme Jaye

graemejaye@xxxxxxxxx

Audio Restoration and CD Repair