Re: arsclist polypropylene and tyvek liners

At 01:11 AM 3/7/2002 +0100, Graeme Jaye wrote:

Hi All

Don> Don Cox wrote:

Don> Recently I have seen jewel cases on sale in local computer shops which
Don> are half the thickness of the traditional ones.  These might help if you
Don> are short of space.

We have some experience of this design of case.  Basically, they are
more harmful to the CD and certainly not suitable for archival work..

There appear to be two types generally available.  One is just like a
standard jewel case, but approximately half as thick.  The other has a
cardboard lid, instead of a plastic one, which is perforated down the
left edge to allow it to fold open.

They both suffer from the same problem, inasmuch as the CD itself is
*extremely* close to the back of the box (in fact, it is often
touching where the moulding has distorted). The very action of
removing the CD from the central boss - unless undertaken with great
care - will scratch the play side of the disc.

Additionally, with the cardboard lidded type, the perforations part
after about a dozen foldings and the lid falls off.

There is a third style which I like very much. The disc is not secured on the hub but free to rotate. Contact is made only in the center, unrecorded area. It would be possible to flex the case enough to make contact with the disc, but that would be an extreme effort. The case snaps shut at the edge; the seal is not air- or dust-proof, but is clearly much tighter than on a jewel case.

The product name is CD Guard, but I do not recall where I found it. Neither do I remember the price, but it was less than that for a standard jewel case.

Mike

mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/