Re: arsclist A Concern: Ampex 611 tape

Many of the early tape were either acetate ot triacetate. Acetate will smell
like vinegar if it is kept in a sealed container ie a metal film can. I have
many ( 300+) tapes from the 50's Scotch 111, Audio Devices type 51, Irish
(later Ampex). They have been kept in normal hardboard containers. I kept
alignment tapes in film cans with edges taped, thinking this would provide
better protection. Wrong, the have the same problem you noticed. After
leaving them out in open air and doing a loose wind they lost the odor and
seem to be ok.
John Hall

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html