Re: arsclist Fwd: Non-member submission from ["Michael Ridderbusch" <mridder@wvu.edu>]

I'm not sure if you need to normalize or compress. Normalize usually means
to make the signal be at max amplitude, or a specified amplitude. So if I
record something from a source a little lower than ideal, I can normalize
it, make the hottest peak on the track be 0 dB or -2 dB or -.5 dB.
Everything else would be increased by as much (ideally). The track, though
overall louder,  would have the same dynamic levels.

Sounds like you need to compress, to make softer passages louder in relation
to loud ones since the mic may have been placed to favor on speaker and not
the other. This is not normalizing. This would be effects\dynamics in Sound
Forge XP 4.5, don't have SF 4.5. Try 13:1 to start

In SF 5 it is effects\dynamics\graphic or multi-band

Joe Salerno
Video Works! Is it working for you?
PO Box 273405 - Houston TX 77277-3405
http://joe.salerno.com