Re: arsclist Ground Impedance for Sound Studio

At 08:10 AM 10/25/2001 -0400, José Llufrío wrote:

This happens to be an area that I have spent some time studying. In order to get you in the correct frame of mind for what follows, remember satellites work fine without being grounded. Think about the image of geostationary satellites with 22,300 mile long ground conductors! Ok now on to what we're trying to do.

When we say grounding, we mean a lot of things. There is bonding (connecting everything together to form an equi-potential plane) and grounding (connecting that equi-potential plane to the center of the earth).

The actual grounding is really only important so that you don't fry yourself as you step from the real world into the facility.

Everything else is bonding. The goal here is to minimize the potential difference among all the points that are connected together. The design here is very dependent on the power system design and the overall building design.

If you have a central computer room using an access floor the #2 copper wire grid (signal reference grid) is a very useful way of achieving a good equi-potential plane.

Is RF present? If so, then surface area is more important than cross sectional area. Copper strips are often used (and mis-used) as ground references.

Don't be afraid of ground loops. In fact, a ring ground around the perimeter of the building is often a very good place to start.

I'm sorry there is no one answer, and answering the question of what "impedance" ground is only really useful to determine if the power utility's circuit breakers will trip if there is a ground fault on the incoming feeder.

The most important function of a ground is personnel safety. Bonding helps equipment work better.

Also, there are papers for the "pin one problem" that describes common impedance sharing. The noise voltage's drop across the common impedance becomes superimposed on the signal.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Richard

Hello, everybody.

Sorry for any duplicates/cross-posting.

In a posting a couple of month past, at ARSCLIST, Graham Newton replied to
Kurt Nauck:
"Be sure there is a heavy contiguous ground wire available that goes
directly to a
solid earth ground at the electrical entry to the building.  Ground all your
equipment to this."

I am now involved in the design/construction of a sound recording and mixing
studio for one of our production units (animated films).

There's much discussion going on among our engineers, about the correct
impedance for grounding the equipment. Recording and mixing will be mostly
digital, but analog equipment will be eventually used too.

What would be the right way to ground the sound studio?

If the DAWs are networked with the rest of the computers in the building,
should everything be connected to a common ground, or should they have
separate grounding with different impedances?

What is the acceptable impedance for grounding sound equipment?

Is the ground to be independent from the grounding in the electrical mains
feed (transformer chamber belonging to the power company)?

I plead to the many experienced people on the list.

Thanks very much in advance.

José E. Llufrío
llufrio@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical Advisor