Re: arsclist mold

Hi, Marie,

I have not done extensive research on this, but I have dealt with some moldy tapes and in my dry, Southern California location, it has not been a problem. I'm not sure I would undertake the playing of these tapes with such abandon in the future after what I've heard in the past on this list and other services.

One thing that we live with is mold. It exists in our everyday lives. For example, for the US, CNN offers a Mold Spores forecast:

http://www.cnn.com/WEATHER/allergy/mold/

When I lived in Toronto--and on subsequent visits--I believe I have had sinus reactions to mold (or mould as they spell it there). In fact, in some parts of the world, mold is a normal cohabitor.

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/publications/allergens/mold.htm

provides some information about what to expect from mold allergies.

http://www.inspect-ny.com/sickhouse/mold.htm

provides some information about detecting mold in homes (and presumably offices).

The following is an interesting page from Harvard
http://preserve.harvard.edu/guidelines/mold.html

And from the Virginia Cooperative Extension aimed at severe agricultural exposure to mold
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/safety/respillness/respillness.html

All of these, and more, can be found through google.com -- I searched on mold spores.

These pages seemed the most interesting--I was interested because I took a cavalier approach to one tape which now I wish I hadn't, but I don't see any ill effects on me or in my home--but then in Southern California there is little chance of serious mold in the home--and we have air conditioning that further drys the air.

Anyway, good luck and be careful!

Cheers,

Richard