RE: arsclist Re: Elgar and Menuhin

Peter Copeland writes:

> It's a Blumlein HB1 moving-coil microphone (the one which had the
> electromagnetically generated field, rather than the permanent-magnet
> introduced about 1934). However, the *recordings* made at that session
> probably weren't done with Blumlein amplification or cutterheads; the
> mirror-image swastika in the shellac indicates the Gramophone Company's
> moving-iron system.

Peter, I may have my history a bit confused then.  I understood that the
system represented by the swastika, and subsequently by the square, was the
system Blumlein had developed for Columbia.  This was the system denoted by
a "C" on Columbia discs, and the Gramophone Company was able to use this
technology when they joined with Columbia to form EMI.  If I have this
wrong, please set the record straight!

Thanks,
Russell W. Miller