RE: TYVEK CD sleeves

<VINYL sleeves??  Archivally speaking you might want to consider a sleeve
<that is a bit more inert... vinyl has a rather bad track record *(get it -
<vinyl - track - record...) OK it is late...anyway - vinyl is a pretty bad
<thing to use for archival enclosures. Has caused all sorts of problems.
<
<James Lindner
<
<General Manager VidiPax Division
<VidiPax - The Magnetic Media Restoration Company
<
<Executive Vice-President
<Loudeye Technologies
<NASDAQ Symbol:LOUD
<
<VidiPax
<450 West 31 Street
<New York, N.Y.  10001
<212-563-1999 ext. 102
<www.vidipax.com

I probably was less than clear in my post that the vinyl sleeves would come
in contact only with other vinyl sleeves since the Tyvek slips inside of
them. I also was not speaking out of the archival side of my mouth at the
time, as the sleeves are used for my personal collection of CDs. I am a
librarian who has worked with circulating collections of CDs and as an
archivist of mostly paper-based materials, so I have knowledge gleaned from
the needs of those narrow areas in addition to experience with my
non-archival activities as a recordings collector. You are, of course,
correct to steer anyone away from storing CDs in direct contact with vinyl
for more than one reason. Is there also a potential problem with gasses
released from these sleeves? I admit to my relative ignorance on such
matters.

Regards,

Peter Hirsch
Cataloger - Dance Division
phirsch@xxxxxxxx
New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
40 Lincoln Center Plaza
New York, New York  10023
(212) 870-1728

                    "James Lindner"
                    <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>             To:     <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    Sent by:                      cc:
                    owner-ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx        Subject:     RE: arsclist TYVEK CD sleeves
                    hester.edu

                    07/19/2001 11:01 PM
                    Please respond to
                    ARSCLIST

VINYL sleeves??  Archivally speaking you might want to consider a sleeve
that is a bit more inert... vinyl has a rather bad track record *(get it -
vinyl - track - record...) OK it is late...anyway - vinyl is a pretty bad
thing to use for archival enclosures. Has caused all sorts of problems.

James Lindner

General Manager VidiPax Division
VidiPax - The Magnetic Media Restoration Company

Executive Vice-President
Loudeye Technologies
NASDAQ Symbol:LOUD

VidiPax
450 West 31 Street
New York, N.Y.  10001
212-563-1999 ext. 102
www.vidipax.com

Moderator: AV Media Matters Listserve
To subscribe to AV Media Matters Listserve send an email to:
AV-Media-Matters-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxx

-