Re: arsclist water damaged tapes.

Date sent:      	Sun, 24 Jun 2001 11:52:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:           	Karl Miller <lyaa071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:             	<ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:        	arsclist water damaged tapes.
Send reply to:  	ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Karl and other readers,

> only the most recent performances were under water.
> These are all DAT tapes.
>
> Any advice as to the proper way to deal with these would be most
> welcome. At the advice of someone else, they have been left sealed in
> water...

----- The entry of water into boxes and cassettes is extremely
variable. Flood water is frequently also sewage water, and the
wisdom of leaving them in that soup is questionnable. NASA have
had experience with tapes salvaged from sea water - a slightly
different problem, because that is more corrosive but generally has
less particulate matter (debris). Any water will corrode the springs
that are built-in; I do not think that they are all rustproof. As I recall
the NASA recommendation (which holds true for photographic
equipment accidentally dropped in salt water) the salty water must
be rinsed out with fresh water as one of the first tasks.

Freeze drying under vacuum would be a sensible approach,
followed by removal of debris deposits. Cleanliness is of utmost
importance, if these tapes are to see a head drum again!

Alas, I do not have the references to hand, but the provenance is
true.

Best of luck and kind regards,

George
Preservation Tactics