Re: Was: arsclist reel to reel player/recorder

No shocked silence, at least not from me.
I agree with your comments, and my archival
transfers convey AS MUCH of the information
in the sources as I can possibly transfer, and
that includes all forms of noise in the source.

But saying:
>> perhaps we should do mass digitisation without much
>> calibration
seems unnecessarily rash. However, I don't work in a large
institution, and I realize their constraints are not mine.

Certainly it is true that secondary info is "lost" or at least likely
to be lost, or at least corrupted, every time material is migrated
to a new storage medium. But this is inevitable - all we can do
is *try* to preserve the "metadata" faithfully. Nothing we do is
perfect.
--
Doug Pomeroy   pomeroyaudio@xxxxxxx
Audio Restoration [CEDAR] & Remastering