Re: arsclist My experience with the ELP Laser Turntable

Date sent:      	Fri, 08 Jun 2001 11:47:53 -0500
From:           	Joe Salerno <salernoj@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:        	Re: arsclist My experience with the ELP Laser
Turntable
To:             	ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Send reply to:  	ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Joe Salerno wrote, and I quote:

> Makes me wonder if it would play aluminum discs - thought not black
> they should be p-l-e-n-t-y reflective, perhaps too reflective and
> would require a neutral density lens in front of the optical sensor.

----- Much as I would love to have that happen, seeing the problems
we have with mechanical replay, it is not likely, because the groove
was embossed, not cut, and hence it is rounded in profile. This
creates reflection of parallel light which makes no sense to the
position sensitive device. However, the idea ought to be tried for the
replay of mothers created by a suitable cutting stylus.

Best regards,

George
Preservation Tactics