Fwd: Recording Archivist question.

All;

I forward this question to the collective knowledge. Since Kevin is not a member of this list, please respond to him privately. Esther.
From: TommyH311@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 01:18:09 EDT
Subject: Recording Archivist question.
To: esth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Ms. Gillie,

Hello my name is Kevin Zepf. I happened to stumble upon the ARSC site in
hopes to find some information concerning the recording industry in the year
1927. I'm doing research for a play entilted Ma Rainey's Black Bottom by
August Wilson which deals with the recording industry in Chicago in 1927. How
much would it cost to produce a record during that time and place? Did it
cost money to rent studios back then? How were the records being recorded? If
you would know the answers to these questions or know where I could find them
that would be extremely appreciated. I haven't had a hard time finding the
history of record production but the specifics of the process is hard to
find. Thank you again for your time and effort.

Kevin Zepf