RE: arsclist Scotch 176 adhesion problems

Dear All, Here at the British Library National Sound Archive we have found a
total of six double-play and triple-play Agfa tapes showing similar
symptoms. The oxide adheres to the backing of the next layer, which in this
case is glossy (not matt). At normal playing-speeds (7 1/2 ips) the oxide is
completely wrecked in the process, and the tape ruined. Neighbouring tapes
in the same collections are usually OK, it afflicts (I would guess) one tape
in five hundred. We are currently using outhoused contractors to get the
sound off such tapes for print-through reasons. The contractors are all
mandated to unpeel the outer turn of the tape very slowly, and if the oxide
shows signs of coming off, return them to us unplayed.
    You cannot bake such a tape; as Richard Hess says, it's different from
the usual synthetic polyurethane binder problem. Following an accidental
discovery on my part, the solution seems to unwind the tape incredibly
slowly. I understand that what we call "Sellotape" here in England is
conversationally called "Scotch Tape" in America. If you pull some Scotch
Tape from the reel fast, it goes "pzzzzip" as it separates, while if you
pull it slowly it separates cleanly. We have built a prototype machine
(called a "Grandfather Clock", because that's what it looks like) to unwind
the tape incredibly slowly. The gearbox ratio can be changed, but at the
moment the takeup reel turns at one revolution a minute, so a reel may take
three days to unwind. As this happens, it travels up the grandfather clock
through a box fed with warm air from a fan to dry it before it reaches the
takeup reel. But until last week, we hadn't enough examples of such tapes to
test the machine thoroughly. I hope to present the resulting design at the
ARSC/IASA conference in London in September.
Peter Copeland
<peter.copeland@xxxxx>