Scotch 176 adhesion problems

I hope this cross-post isn't too annoying.

I dug out a 1976 reel of Scotch 176--or at least that was what the box says. I was going to transfer it to DAT (and ultimately to CD-R). I started playing it and I saw layer-to-layer adhesion. It's not sticky shed. There is no residue on guides, but rather some of the oxide may be attaching itself to the back of the tape. I stopped playing as soon as I noticed (it didn't happen for the first ten minutes of the tape). There are a LOT of splices in the tape so it may not be a homogenous type.

I've not seen this before nor come across it in my reading.

Is it sticky shed? Is this a bakable disease? Will baking hurt?

It is not a back-coated tape and it appears to be 1.5 mil...so there is a good chance it is mostly 176. I guess by 1976 CBC had switched to this? Could there be Racal Zonal mixed in? Since the first few cuts didn't exhibit this and about the tenth little skit in (there might be 40 on this reel) exhibited what I have described. Although some Zonal from 1973 did well for me two years ago.

The products of the adhesion are splotchy towards the center of the tape.

I'm not sure how the tape was stored, but I suspect in a humid basement for a long time. Could it be mold? I've had it about a year and am only getting to it now, so the nose test won't be as useful as a year ago. Most of the stuff coming out of that basement in Toronto was damp--some downright wet. I had to replace a box which had gotten so wet that it was all buckled, and coming apart...but I don't think it was for this reel since this 176 box has what appears to be the correct label on it. It is very poorly wound with lots of edges out.

Any thoughts would be of great use.

I check the lists in the evening, but if you could reply to richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I'll get it sooner during the day.

Thanks!

Richard

Richard L. Hess                              richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Glendale, CA USA                           http://www.richardhess.com/
Web page: folk and church music, photography, and
                 broadcast engineering