Non-member submission from ["Hugh Griffith" <hugh@momus.free-online.co.uk>]

I was given this address by Antony Gordon of the National Sound Archive =
(British Library) after I had asked him if he knew anything about the =
earliest complete opera recordings on 78s. The first such European =
recording, I read recently, was made in 1907. He says this is now much =
disputed. Are you able to give me information on that, please, and also =
to clarify what was meant in those days by 'complete'. Were they really =
complete, or was a lot in fact missed out?

With thanks

Hugh Griffith