Complete opera recordings

I was given this address by Antony Gordon of the National Sound Archive (British Library) after I had asked him if he knew anything about the earliest complete opera recordings on 78s. The first such European recording, I read recently, was made in 1907. He says this is now much disputed. Are you able to give me information on that, please, and also to clarify what was meant in those days by 'complete'. Were they really complete, or was a lot in fact missed out?

With thanks

Hugh Griffith